HVAC Workers at an Increased Risk for Mesothelioma
Gunning mixtures that contained asbestos were often used in furnaces and by HVAC workers because they were naturally resistant to corrosion and heat and were considered ideal by the industry at that time. Gunning mixtures were typically used to repair furnace holes by technicians or simply to line furnaces and, unfortunately, put a vast number of HVAC workers at an increased risk of developing mesothelioma.
Although companies manufacturing gunning mixtures discontinued using asbestos once learning of its hazardous nature, the damage had already been done. Countless innocent technicians, HVAC workers, construction contractors, and even homeowners were exposed to asbestos as a result. This exposure happened when the gunning mixtures were moved or replaced improperly, disturbed in any way, or just deteriorated due to age.
Many people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and were exposed to asbestos through gunning mixtures have brought suit against the manufacturers of these mixes. It has been found that the manufacturers of the gunning mixtures failed to provide a warning that the mixtures contained asbestos and that exposure to this dangerous substance could lead to mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases.
Common HVAC Products Known to Contain Asbestos
HVAC workers are exposed to a variety of products that are known to contain asbestos, which include:
- Building materials. A number of construction materials used to construct homes and public locations are known to contain asbestos, including adhesives, ceiling tiles, cement, firewall bricks, floor tiles, joint compound, pipe tape, siding, and walls.
- Thermal insulation. Asbestos is frequently used as insulation in a number of HVAC products, including in boiler surfaces, furnace ducts, steam piping, and water piping.
Occupational Exposure Among HVAC Workers
Many HVAC workers were exposed to asbestos as a direct result of working in residential and public buildings that contained asbestos.
Ducts are used in HVAC systems to circulate air; for many years, these ducts were commonly wrapped with asbestos-containing materials. When ductwork is modified in any way, asbestos fibers can be inhaled by a worker. Following inhalation, asbestos fibers can become lodged in a person's tissues.
Many HVAC workers are also exposed to asbestos during the maintenance process, which often involves changing filters and checking furnaces.
In some situations, hot water pipes, as well as steam pipes, located in buildings were covered with asbestos.
To make matters worse, HVAC workers frequently perform functions in small and narrow spaces, which can greatly increase the chances that asbestos will end up lodged in a worker's internal tissues or organs.
We Know How Hard This is for You and Your Family
Michael Throneberry, the principal attorney of Throneberry Law Group, experienced mesothelioma personally after the death of his own father-in-law from the disease. This tragedy led him to dedicate his practice to advocating for the rights of individuals who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and their families. We are here for you and can help you fight for the justice you and your loved ones deserve.
Contact our law office today by calling 480-605-4967 or schedule a free initial consultation with us online.