Mesothelioma is a disease that develops after someone is exposed to asbestos. A person can develop mesothelioma by either inhaling or ingesting asbestos fibers. Receiving a mesothelioma diagnosis can be devastating. It can be hard to cope after a mesothelioma diagnosis. Fortunately, there are steps that mesothelioma patients can take that can help them live better quality lives while receiving treatment. According to research, improved quality of life can improve mesothelioma prognosis, which is a patient's expected life expectancy and the projected course of the illness.
Below, we share a few tips on how mesothelioma patients can improve their quality of life.
Disclaimer: This article is meant for informational purposes only. The following is not professional medical advice. If you need professional medical advice, please reach out to a medical professional.
Nutrition and Diet
According to research, patients with mesothelioma are at significant risk of suffering from malnutrition. When a person is malnourished, their energy levels fall, and they feel tired and irritable. Malnourished people have a more difficult time recovering when they are ill. A poor diet can adversely impact a mesothelioma patient's quality of life and make it harder for them to beat their diagnosis.
The following are some tips mesothelioma patients can use to improve their diet;
- Eating a lot of vegetables and fruits
- Eating whole grain foods with high fiber
- Controlling the consumption of red meat
- Moderating alcohol intake
- Moderating unhealthy fats
- Seeking nutritional support from experts
Often, people assume that exercise is unsafe for mesothelioma patients. This is not true. Studies have shown that light to moderate exercise can improve mesothelioma patients' physical health and quality of life. Even only a few minutes of light to moderate exercise can do wonders.
Below are some tips for exercising with mesothelioma:
- Set goals
- Engage in an enjoyable exercise
- Avoid intense exercise
- Exercising can be as simple as taking a walk in the house
- Mesothelioma patients should not be hard on themselves when exercising is not possible
According to research, reducing stress is a proven way for mesothelioma patients to improve their quality of life. Here are some tips on how mesothelioma patients can reduce stress and improve their quality of life.
- Anticipate stressors and prevent them
- Practice stress management techniques like exercising regularly, eating well, getting plenty of sleep, and spending time outside
- Gather information about mesothelioma
- Work with the best specialists (if possible)
Some tips for minimizing stressors include;
- Asking for assistance
- Recognizing one's limits
- Setting priorities
- Keeping track of appointments in a planner
- Letting go of things that are beyond one's control
- Avoiding taking on too many responsibilities
Support groups can help mesothelioma patients in several ways. For example, support groups help mesothelioma patients to stop feeling alone. Support groups also give patients a chance to get advice on overcoming challenges. Depending on a mesothelioma patient's lifestyle, they can join an in-person support group or an online or telephone group.
Arizona Mesothelioma Lawyers
If you or a loved one were diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact our office to speak to one of our experienced Arizona mesothelioma attorneys about your situation. Our office can help investigate your case and determine if compensation can be sought from negligent parties to help pay for your medical treatment to help you and your family live a more comfortable life.